Saturday, March 31, 2012

Fabulous Friday Challenge - Recycle/Upcycle!

Hi there.  Earth Day is coming up soon and Frosted Design is celebrating it by having their Fabulous Friday challenge promoting recycling/upcycling projects!. I couldn't be happier. For this, I'm recycling a very-yellow toolbox that I found at flea market recently. Making it more ... feminine.

The toolbox is so handsomely yellow, I have NO IDEA what to make of it. Then came this challenge. Liva's yellow submarine actually reminds me of my toolbox!. LOL. This is how my effeminate toolbox looks like after some work :).



I dropped the idea of painting inside. Added pattern papers, instead. Minimal alterations. Used an old postcard, a lacy ribbon, a stamped butterfly image and decoupaged roses as embellishments. How convenient to have the original embossed words, 'Do It Yourself' on the lid. I just inked with Stazon to highlight the words.



I decoupaged roses on four corners. Then inked some more on all the sides for an 'aged' look. Lastly, glued a silk rose to the lid. Now, I've got a girlish toolbox for a storage!. I hope you're inspired. 

And Happy Earth Hour Kuala Lumpur!

XO,
Shahrul

15 comments:

  1. oh how I LOVE to visit your blog and see all these amazing off the page items that you create .... this one is yet another master piece .... you are amazing Shahrul! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A constant supply of flea market treasures keeps my alteration habits going. LOL.

      Delete
  2. What a cool toolbox! Love the "do it yourself". Great project. So glad you played along with us at Frosted Designs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lydia. I bought it, because of the words LOL. Such a good size toolbox too.

      Delete
  3. I love your take off Liva's inspiration for your yellow toolbox! Great job! I really love the roses on the corners! What are you going to store in your cool toolbox?Thank you for joining us this week at Frosted Designs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must love the yellow submarine! The cutest thing. My toolbox is now pretty enough to store little flea market's odds & ends. Thank you Michelle.

      Delete
  4. Love what you have done here!! Great project, Thanks for playing along with us at Frosted Designs!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anita, I had fun making this quick altered project.

      Delete
  5. wow kak own.. this is gorgeous.. great job turning unattractive toolbox into a masterpiece ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nossa...mais um projeto lindo!! Já sou sua seguidora!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jacira, I just learnt some Portuguese today..thank you for following my blog :)

      Delete
  7. Awesome box and alteration! Love the decoupage..nicely placed on edge of box...great work..
    Did you switch off your lights? Hehehehe..... We did! 1 hour of sauna....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome box and alteration! Love the decoupage..nicely placed on edge of box...great work..
    Did you switch off your lights? Hehehehe..... We did! 1 hour of sauna....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nida. I did! But I cheated & turned on the air-conditioning, well its for my cats! hehe.

      Delete
  9. Very cool project! I just love repurposing items like this:)

    Thanks for joining us for our Fabulous Friday challenge over at Frosted Designs!

    ReplyDelete

' Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen ' - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BACK TO TOP