Thursday, December 8, 2011

Altered Book

I collect old hard-covered books from flea markets. I look for the ones with great color & design on the cover and sturdy. It's important if I want to “alter” them later. "Alter" means, you creatively recycle them into something new like children storybook, etc. I got excited and attached a door handle to the book’s cover. When I open the book, I can almost imagine myself as Alice, stepping into Wonderland ...







I bought a book called The Artful Storybook. I got inspired from L.K Ludwig's work (famous mixed-media artist). In the book she wrote “The Magpie & the Princess” with storyline about a princess hidden in a forest who 


befriended a robin which later leads into marrying a prince charming. 











So I said quietly, maybe I like to use her story and try alter an old book. Fortunately, about the same time the whole world was watching Prince William marrying Kate Middleton. So, that’s great .. he WILL be my prince and Kate is definitely the princess!. 



So here is my take ...






























"Once upon a time, there was a robin lived in a faraway forest."




































" In the forest, there was a princess sadly locked away in a tower high up on the hills. Her tears turned into diamonds as they fell. They were collected by the robin."










" The robin made them into a bracelet and took it to a brave prince. Friendship blossomed and the prince rescued the princess." 





(Here comes William! Aaawww ....)




















" They all lived happily ever after. And the robin is their life-long friend. The END." 

Thank you L.K Ludwig!. I enjoyed your story as much as I enjoyed making the collage work.


XO,
Shahrul

4 comments:

  1. Love your work kak own.. As always!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had storybooks with such artwork when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maz...make some for your kids...or maybe your own fairy-tale, mmmm ... meeting prince BOZOT?? hehe. That'd great. Hurry hurry, then show me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Logan, never too late! Remember? Living in the "NOW". I just made mine like this April...good luck.

    ReplyDelete

' Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen ' - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
BACK TO TOP